Raikou Raid Counters Guide
- Raikou is one of the Johto Beasts (together with Entei and Suicune), a Legendary Trio originally discovered in the Johto Region (Gen II). It is a Tier 5 Legendary Raid Boss in Pokémon GO, with a Raid Boss CP of 45435. Raikou is a pure Electric type, meaning it is weak to Ground types, while resisting Electric, and Steel types. It is boosted by Rainy weather. Raikou can be caught in the following CP-ranges:
- 1889-1972 CP for a regular Level 20 encounter
- 2361-2466 CP for a Rainy weather boosted encounter (Level 25)
Raikou has a stat composition of 241 Attack, 195 Defense, and 207 Stamina leading to a Max CP of 3452. A trio might be possible, but it would require maxed out counters, as well as Best Friend Bonus, Sunny Weather Boost, and a good amount of luck. We suggest you to take on Raikou in groups of 4-6, for high-level players, or 7-20, for lower level players.
Raikou Raid Counters
*Italics indicates Legacy.
Raikou Raid Counters Infographic by Orange Heart
All data and numbers used in this article are extracted from our GO Hub Database. Below, you can find a list of the top 10 Counters against Raikou, according to our simulator.
Please note that this list is based on overall performance against all Raikou movesets, and Pokémon in this list have maxed out stats (powered up to level 40). Actual results may vary, depending on the moveset on the Raid Boss and the conditions of the Raid Battle.
Raikou Moveset Analysis
Raikou has access to the following moves:
*Best moveset for Raikou is in bold
- Thunder hits hard, but it gets resisted by Ground types
- Wild Charge and Thunderbolt don’t hit as hard as Thunder, and also get resisted by Ground types
- Shadow Ball is a powerful move, but doesn’t deal Super Effective damage to any of your counters (unless you choose to fight with Mewtwo)
Again, you don’t need to worry about any of these moves, as almost all counters resist Electric moves due to their Ground typing.
Raikou is boosted by Rainy weather, while being more vulnerable in Sunny weather.
Rainy weather will give you the chance to catch Raikou at level 25, but the battle will be harder because of Raikou’s boosted Electric moves. If you want the fight to be easier, challenge Raikou in Sunny weather to boost your Ground counters.
Raikou is the best Electric type Pokémon currently available in Pokémon GO. It outperforms its Kanto counterpart Zapdos, so it’s definitely a worthy member in your team of Electric type attackers.